Each month after the Board of Trustees meeting, a summary report of what happened is prepared. This is the report for the Jan. 13, 2015 regular meeting. Meeting materials are posted at: www.nsd131.org under Board of Trustees, Board Agenda, January 13, 2015, Agenda Packet.
The Nampa School District contracted with Phi Delta Kappa for a curriculum audit, which will be conducted in February. Lead Auditor John Rouse presented a broad overview of the process and answered questions from the Board of Trustees.
NOTE: This week, Mr. Rouse also presented overviews to the Nampa Education Association and the school and district leadership. On our website are:
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Video and PDF of Presentation to School/District Leaders on Jan. 12
- Link to PDK International
The district’s NASKCO (Nampa, Skyview, Columbia) Construction Technology program was spotlighted for its work building homes for Habitat for Humanity in Nampa and the remodel of classroom space at Skyview High School for use in the health occupations program. Teacher Bret Miller, based at Skyview, and introduce Seniors Logan Barker, Columbia High School, and Brennin Minnick, Skyview High School who reviewed the projects for trustees.
Nampa Education Association President Jaimee Hoesing asked the board to reconsider the Teach for America Contract. Board Chairman Bob Otten noted that the NEA will be part of the evaluation of the district’s participation in the Teach for America program.
Items in this report included:
The district is moving forward with hiring a Federal Programs Director. The position is posted online. Currently these responsibilities are managed by Earnie Lewis. Mr. Lewis’ contract expires at the of the school year.
Superintendent Peterson will join the Treasure Valley United Way Board of Directors.
Trustees will schedule a special meeting to discuss and finalize Ends Policies, these policies define the goals and outcomes the superintendent will be evaluated on and the district’s progress will be measured.
Copies of the NSD Organizational Chart.
An update on information shared in response to media questions on Governor Otter’s Budget Proposal and Idaho Education Network.
The Board approved its Consent Agenda which included:
- Approval of Minutes: Regular Board Meeting – December 9, 2014
- Monthly Personnel Report
- Canyon County Statement of Receipts November 30, 2014
- Approval of Accounts Payable & Student Activity Funds Reports
- 21st Century Grant Application Approval 2015-2016 School Year
- Overnight Trip Request, Nampa FFA State Career Development Events, Moscow, Idaho, June 1, 2015 through June 5, 2015
- Overnight Trip Request, Columbia FFA State Leadership Conference and State FFA Career Development Events, Twin Falls, Idaho, April 8-11, 2015
- Out-of-State Trip Request, Ronald Reagan Elementary School, Social Studies Field Trip, Baker Oregon, Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, March 19, 2015
The Board of Trustees approved for a first reading of new policies on Ends, Academic Competence, Scholastic Achievement, Responsible Citizenship, Organizational Development. The policies will be reviewed again by the Board before being finalized.
President Jaimee Hoesing expressed appreciation for Lead Curriculum Auditor John Rouse’s presentation earlier in the day to NEA Leadership. She expressed disappointment that no action was taken on a request she made during the Public Comment portion of the meeting for the Board to re-consider the Teach for America Contract.