The Columbia High School debate team earned the state championship title at the 2017 State Debate Tournament sponsored by the Idaho High School Activities Association (IHSAA) March 10-11 in Twin Falls. The team is coached by Jeffrey Stoppenhagen.
Team members who won individual awards include:
- Emma Freitas - second place in Congressional Debate
- Davia Habben - third place in Congressional Debate
- Elbie Seibert - seventh place in Congressional Debate
- Kasey Moulton - octofinalist in Lincoln Douglas Debate
- Avery Thiel - semifinalist in Congressional Debate
Additional participants include:
- Kason Reddish, Tony Reese and Jacob Frank in Congressional Debate
- Zachary Maggard in Lincoln Douglas Debate.
Columbia’s Speech Team will participate this coming weekend at District Speech in the first step toward their goal to repeat as State Speech Champions in April.